A Feeding Friend with Benefits
Well, we all need friends at each and every stage of our
lives. Many a time we come across a special friend, which becomes our best friend.
It is rightly said that “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly
not born until they arrive, and it is only by the meeting that a new world is
born”. A new friend came into my life on 23rd November, a day after my son was
born. That friend turned out to be my support system. My friend helped me in
learning the skill of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding journey till now would have
been tough if that special friend wouldn't have come into my life. Breastfeeding becomes very effective if the position of the baby is correct. Now, you all must be
scratching your head, to know who is that new friend.
He is none other than my “Breastfeeding Pillow”.
Yes, you read that correctly.
My “U” shaped pillow, that I asked my husband
to buy the very next day of my delivery, turned out to be my best friend. Breastfeeding became very easy and effective,
and it was so comfortable for both of us. Breastfeeding can last from 20 to 45
min and for that proper position is very important. Breastfeeding should always
be “Baby-led” and not “Mother- led”.
Now the term “Baby-led” means, breastfeeding
should be led by the baby, the way baby wants, and should not be done
forcefully. Proper latching means the baby's whole body is toward the mother's body in one straight line. The baby's spine should be supported by both the hands of the mother. The way you hold your baby during feeding is really very important. If the baby is held just by his/her head and lower body, it makes a baby very uncomfortable, which in turn results in failure to latch. Now, this is termed as "Mother-led" breastfeeding. This type of improper holding practice is what I have observed during my career. Many a time without a pillow, mothers lean forward, which results in moderate to severe back pain.
This pillow helped me and became baby-friendly as I just had to place my baby on the pillow and it was very comfortable for him to latch effectively. I was so used to with the pillow that I carried it everywhere. Even though I have to go out for a 15 to 30 min visits or 3 days trip. Now it is not necessary to buy U shaped pillow, a mother can use any pillow available. But I can say that this was my success story and still the pillow is my best friend.
This pillow helped me and became baby-friendly as I just had to place my baby on the pillow and it was very comfortable for him to latch effectively. I was so used to with the pillow that I carried it everywhere. Even though I have to go out for a 15 to 30 min visits or 3 days trip. Now it is not necessary to buy U shaped pillow, a mother can use any pillow available. But I can say that this was my success story and still the pillow is my best friend.

Comments
Post a Comment