First Week of Motherhood and Breastfeeding

The first 24 hours with my newborn was an achievement of “Initiation of breastfeeding” within one hour of birth, without any formula/animal milk nor any Prelacteals. I call it an achievement because, throughout my pregnancy, I was very sure that I don’t want to give my child formula feed. Even before I had a kid, I had extended support to friends and cousins. During my 6 years of career, I have seen that even though Initiation of breastfeeding occurring within one hour, formula feed was given to the newborn. Thus, it became a challenge for me. Now it was my time to implement all the knowledge into practice.

C-section nowadays is very advanced, I got discharged in 36 hours of delivery. But yet it was painful to feed the child every 2 hours day and night. C-section delivery and overall recovery take around 2 to 3 months. 

I came across a myth, that after C-section delivery, milk is not secreted in proper quantity for few days’. Thus many families feed the newborn, formula milk, or animal milk. The fact behind this is that in the first few days the milk secretes as a thick yellowish fluid called “Colostrum”. It is the best milk for the baby as it provides passive immunity also can be termed as the first Immunisation.

The child’s stomach is like a small cherry (as an example) and it requires only a few drops of milk. Initially, only a few drops of milk are enough and sufficient for the baby.  The only thing that has to be followed is to feed every 2 hours (minimum) to prevent the child to be dehydrated.

Every new mother needs help and support. Family members here play an important role by providing positivity and encouragement to breastfeed. Many mothers feel a bit stressed about the sufficiency of her milk to the baby and many times new (first time) mothers feel that the milk is not enough and the child needs more. I want to tell those mothers today, that for every child, mother’s milk is enough. In fact, the more you breastfeed the more milk production takes place, as it is aa psychological process.  The main thing is the proper latching of the baby. In the first few weeks, if kangaroo care is given to the newborn, this will also help in increasing the episodes of breastfeeding. kangaroo care can be given by a mother or any other family member. Because of C-section many times my husband used to give kangaroo care to our child.

Breastfeeding is a skill that has to be learned. With my baby, I have learned that skill. And I wish to help more and more new mothers.

Initiation of breastfeeding within one hour is definitely important but exclusive breastfeeding till 6 months is also the most important.

In my next few blogs, I will talk about My Breastfeeding Friend, My Breastfeeding Diary, My Postpartum, My Food Intake and will talk about something which I call is Postlacteals.

So stay tuned and follow my page NUTRIHOODWITHPANAY on Facebook and Instagram

Comments

  1. Best of luck for your new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed your emotions through out this phase

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

C-section Delivery & Breastfeeding...

Importance of Parenting